Lords Place

From The Orange Wiki

Jump to: navigation, search

Lords Place was so called because the track led from Blackman's Swamp up Bletchington Hill to Simeon Lord's Place. Simeon Lord who owned large areas of Orange figures prominently in early colonial history.

According to William Folster writing in the Central Western Daily many years ago an attempt was made to have the name changed to King Street. ‘The move was frustrated by interested people, particularly Mr L A Lane, Solicitor whose relatives had friendly associations with the Lord family long ago.’

Joe Glasson quoted in the Central Western Daily on 30 July 1953 commented that "Lord's Place was once known as Shark's Avenue...", presumably because of the number of solicitors and stock and station agents who had their offices there.

One of the early auctioneers to open in Orange was a Mr. Rembert, who built triangular saleyards in Lord's Place (though it was not known as such then), on ground adjoining Mr. Millard's office. He sold stock by auction in this yard, and also potatoes and other farm produce grown in the Orange district, to be conveyed to the Parkes goldfields, then in full swing.These yards were later known as the Willow Tree Saleyards, and were the principal ones until the Municipal yards were erected in 1878, Mr. Arthur Jones being the first inspector.

On 3 March 1892 the National Advocate noted 'On Mondays, Lord's Place, from the fountain to the saleyards, is made a public sale mart, and horses under the hammer go through their performance in the street. This system suits the attendants at the opposite marts very well, but it is beastly inconvenient and obstructive to the ordinary traffic'.

Although this street's name is correctly spelt with an apostrophe, it commonly appears on maps as Lords Place.

  • Folster, William 'Streets named after admirals' Central Western Daily 6 January 1949
  • Maroney, Ross Notes, unpublished
  • Orange and District Illustrated, (1989) Orange City Council, Orange NSW.
  • Weathersten, Paul. 1988 W Folster’s articles: the writings of William (Bill) Folster compiled by his grandson, Molong NSW, Cabonne Printers.
Personal tools